IPA course in HK - for better English pronunciation
Learn the English International Phonetic Alphabet with an IPA tutor
You can come and learn only IPA if it is your main focus. But even better if you learn the International Phonetic Alphabet as a 10-to-30-minute segment in each lesson of your general English conversation course. Learn just a few sounds at a time.
The best way to learn to pronounce a new word is hearing it in a context first, then reading it and finally looking it up in a dictionary. You should hear the word several times and see its phonetic symbol at the same time.
If you learn to associate the English phonetic symbols with their sounds, you will have both auditory and visual guide when you learn a new word from a talking dictionary.
When you learn IPA you need an English teacher or tutor who corrects your pronunciation mistakes otherwise you may teach yourself the sounds inaccurately.
This is a link to an example for the difference between the [e] and the [ei] sounds in similar words.
Click to go and watch this English pronunciation video.
One-on-one English pronunciation and phonics tutoring lessons
This English IPA and pronunciation course will include:
- learning how to pronounce each English sound correctly and associate them with their phonetic symbols:
- Short vowels: [i], [ə], [u], [ʌ], [e], [ɔ]
- Long vowels: [i:], [з:], [u:], [a:], [æ], [ɔ:]
- Diphthongs: [ei], [ai], [ɔi], [iə], [uə], [eə], [əu], [ou], [au]
- Consonants: [b], [d], [v], [g], [ð], [p], [t], [f], [k], [θ], [h], [j], [l], [m], [n], [ŋ], [r], [w], [s], [z], [∫], [t∫], [ʒ], [ʤ]
- overcoming your pronunciation difficulties, e.g.:
- consonant clusters
- long words
- pronouncing "-s" and "-es" at the end of the words [-s], [-z], [-iz]
- pronouncing "-ed" at the end of the verbs [-d], [-t], [-id]
- understanding the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
- using a dictionary to check pronunciation
- recognizing the differences between the American and the British pronunciation
- increasing awareness of word stress
- learning strategies on how to improve pronunciation in English
- teaching reading by training students to associate phonetic symbols with their sounds.
- the symbols used to represent the speech sounds of a language.
- the way in which a sound, word, or language is articulated, especially in conforming to an accepted standard.
- Consonant cluster:
- a group of consonants which have no intervening vowel.
- the rise and fall of the voice pitch.
The English alphabet (letters) and the English sounds
The modern English alphabet is a Latin-based alphabet consisting of 26 letters:
Small letters: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Capital letters: A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T V X Y Z
Five of the letters are vowels: aeiou. The other twenty-one written characters are consonants.
In spoken English 55 different sounds are used. There are 21 spoken vowels and 24 spoken consonants. Some dictionaries may use fewer or more than 21 vowels.